I had a happy childhood #1


A MISSIONARY'S VISIT

 

It was a sunny morning in November when we were enjoying a happy and noisy recess. a “peladinha” with two shirts in place of the goals, ten boys on each side. The place was a large patio surrounded by fruit trees, mango trees, avocado trees and even a carambola tree, which made us happy. We were about two hundred students, boys and girls aged between seven and eighteen years old, from the third grade until admission to the Gymnasium.

The girls also played, but on the other side of the wall in another smaller courtyard, separated from the boys. Sometimes some boys climbed the branches of the mango and avocado trees to see the girls playing on the other side.

  The noise and rush was great. when we were alerted by a sound warning to gather in traditional formation as in the days when there was the “Civic Hour”. We were all very curious, wanting to know why they had spoiled our recess, which was already so short.

It was the end of the year and the final exam period of primary education. Afterwards, whoever was going to continue their studies would have to go either to the gymnasium or technical school, at that time called Liceu. Therefore, our concern with this interruption.

After a long wait, a priest appeared, accompanied by the director and teachers, introducing himself as a Redemptorist Missionary. He had an invitation for anyone who wanted to pursue a priestly career: Study to be a priest!

He informed that he was there to discover “vocations”. According to him, the name given to his mission of “fisher of souls”, according to the words of Jesus Christ to the apostles: - “The Messe is great and the workers are few” - He said singing.

He gave an explanation of life in the Seminary, the games, the walks, bathing in the river and lakes, cinema, theater, football, much prayer and of course, much study awaited us. Pools, streams, excursions, cinemas and theater. We would have the chance to learn several languages and professions, because a priest needs to get by anywhere, in any country he is sent on a mission, as a soldier of Christ, including, he should be prepared to serve the Army as a doctor-chaplain and counselor . Working at the vocational college would replace military service because a priest does not provide this service like other citizens, but must learn to defend himself and protect the human being involved in the conflict, on whatever side he may be. Afterwards, a small note was distributed to everyone to take to their parents. I was excited about it myself, not because I wanted to be a priest, but because of the amount of fun and outings I would have if I passed. Play ball, swim, go on excursions.

But it was just a dream, at the moment. We went back to the classroom and soon my thoughts returned to mathematics numbers and Portuguese verbs.

PREPARING FOR THE SEMINAR

My mother, Dona Francisca, (affectionately called “Chiquinha” by people), was, as usual, busy with her Cutting and Sewing students. She taught the Vogue Method, new at the time, and Culinary Arts.

I got home and not to interrupt, I went straight to my room to change my school uniform and wash up for dinner.

As I took the student book out of my pocket, I saw the mimeographed note and remembered the priest. Then I went to tell her and the girls from the course everything. Like every child, I thought it was just an ordinary fact and, carefree, I went to take a shower. It was customary in the cities of the interior, after taking a bath, people always put on clean clothes or pajamas, before dinner.

When I returned, I found my mother crying, hugging my sisters. Not understanding anything, I positioned myself at the table, waiting for it to end and the food to be served. But, I was surprised when she started talking between sobs: - “This here is a blessing from heaven! It is the answer to my prayers. I always dreamed of this, - said my mother, coming towards me:

- I will do everything possible to make this dream come true, because it is a call from God!”

I didn't expect her to be so happy. Mainly because I was always a naughty kid, who would get into trouble with my friends in the neighborhood. Me and my colleagues, brothers and their cousins. Time and again he would get a beating for the pranks he got up to.

Of course, she admired those altar boys who helped in the Church's celebrations, dressed in white and embroidered vestments, over a cassock, shaking those bells and the incense censer. But they weren't seminarians, just the children of some church women or children from an orphanage maintained by the nuns. But what seemed like a simple thing turned into a ceremony worthy of preparing for a wedding.

After a few days, my parents returned from church with all the instructions for my trip to the seminary. The house became a place of visitation with people coming to greet me, give me advice and bring clothes and gifts for me to take to school.

 

Comentários